I hope you all are having a great week!
On our blog post today, we are going to talk about the dearest germs’ and bacterias’ house – carpets, rugs, and doormats.
Have you ever thought how much dirt, germs, and impurities these accessories hold? Exactly! Sometimes it’s better not to think about it. However, we cannot be negligent.
According a research by Philip M. Tierno, Clinical Professor of Microbiology and Pathology, and author of the book The Secret Life of Germs (2001), carpets accommodate approximately 200,000 bacteria per square inch, this is 4,000 times more contaminated than a toilet seat.
Isn’t it insane? 😱
Although we cannot eliminate 100% of all bad germs and bacterias from our house, we still can take some actions to avoid them to proliferate and to keep our family safe.
Here are some ideas that can help you with it.
Keep germs away from your door by:
- Create a shoes-off rule in your house
- Check the manufacture’s instructions of cleaning and maintenance before adding any product to rugs, mats/doormats, and carpets, avoiding possible damages to the material/fabric
- Use washable rugs and mats in high-traffic areas and wash them regularly
- Disinfect non-washable rugs or mats regularly
- Spot clean spills and drips right away, but make sure to do a deep cleaning when necessary
- Hire a carpet cleaning professional at least once a year
Therefore, a great maintenance is the main secret to keep your house clean and healthy. In fact, talking about maintenance, we are also going to share a quick spot cleaner recipe.
Quick DIY Spot Cleaner
Ingredients and tools:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
- One empty spray bottle
- Paper towel or soft microfiber cloth
- Cleaning brush (if necessary)
First, combine the water, white vinegar, salt, and essential oil in the spray bottle. Second, wipe off the area affected by the spill with a paper towel or a soft microfiber cloth. Then, sprinkle some of the baking soda and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, spray some of the mixture in the area of the stain or spill. Gently scrub with a cleaning brush (in case of hard stains) or remove the excess of the mixture with a paper towel or a cloth. Finish by vacuuming the area.
Overall, we recommend you to review the ideas we are sharing here and create some cleaning habits to help you and your family to keep germs away from your door.
Let us know your thoughts about it and feel free to share some of your experiences.
If you need an extra help with deep cleaning, we Zesty Maids are a professional residential and commercial cleaning services. Don’t hesitate to contact us or to check out our website and request a free quote!